Saturday, January 15, 2005

Just Go Ahead and Give USC the Trophy

LOS ANGELES -- Matt Leinart passed on the NFL for a chance to make history at Southern California -- and to remain a college kid for another year.

The Heisman Trophy winner will return to USC for his senior season and try to lead the Trojans to an unprecedented third straight national championship.

"I went with my gut. I went with my heart," the quarterback said.

Leinart opted to complete his eligibility rather than enter the NFL draft, where he figured to be one of the top selections in April and become an instant millionaire.

Instead, he'll have a chance to become just the second two-time Heisman winner.

Mostly, though, Leinart was just having too much fun to leave.

"I realized the opportunity right now to support my family by going to the NFL early, but to me I think college football and this whole atmosphere here and being with my friends and my teammates ... is ultimately more satisfying and will make me happier than any amount of money could make someone happy," he said.

No comments: