Friday, January 21, 2005

"I Think People Will Be Shocked"

"I think people will be shocked," said an official of another international organization deeply involved in preparing Iraq's nascent political class for the ballot. The official, who insisted that neither he nor his organization could be identified because of security concerns, said most Iraqis remain intent on exercising their right to elect a government after decades of dictatorships. "I think the real story of this election is what's gone on beneath the radar," the official said. "They may not know what they're voting for. But I think they recognize it's something called democracy."

Isn't it the media's job to report "the real story" that has "gone beneath the radar"? Hell no. That wouldn't support their cause.

Anyway, I'm beginning to think that the Iraqi people are much braver - and better - than I.

No comments: