Thursday, November 11, 2004

A Must Read

Take a look at John Ashcroft's resignation letter to the American people. Very well done. Here's the money quote:

Lastly, I am grateful to God for each day the sun rises on a safe and free America. For the past three years, my every working day has begun with a report – a catalog of the murderous acts being plotted against Americans. That we have passed these three years in safety and security is a credit to the men and women with whom I serve. But it would be the height of arrogance to assume we achieved this alone. The Psalms remind us: “Unless the Lord watches over the city, the watchman stands guard in vain.”

My fellow Americans, for four years we have stood watch together. We have endured many things and we have accomplished many more. It has been the honor of my lifetime to stand beside you. And as I take my leave of this privileged post, I know that our efforts have not been in vain. The Builder of our city and the Author of our freedom has stood beside us. He stands beside us still.

In a country this large - and this free - with so many enemies, our protection cannot depend on our own resources or determination. It can only depend on a merciful God who watches over and protects us. As long as we remember that, I fear nothing. Once we forget, I will fear everything.

No comments: