Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Blessed are the Givers

Check out this generosity index. It rates states based on the amount of money citizens donate in relation to their overall wealth. Very interesting. Seems that the poorer states - the Red states - are the most generous. The more prosperous - the Blue states - tend to be stingy.

This underscores an important distinction among Christians. The Christian right - of which I am a member - generally views the dictates of Christ as an individual injunction. For instance, I am required to help the poor and needy. I do so by giving a substantial portion of my income to my church and other worthy causes...not by forcing others to do so. I think this is reflected in the Red state scores.

The Christian left views the dictates of Christ as a societal (i.e. governmental) injunction. As a result, Blue states tend to give less of their personal wealth while lobbying for greater governmental involvement in these areas, which consequently requires a greater tax burden.

Both hope to achieve a similar goal, but have very different means of achieving that goal.

No comments: