Friday, February 11, 2005

Quote of the Day

"I don't support an amendment to the Constitution banning gay marriage. I think it's a matter that should be left to the states. As a conservative, I don't support constitutional amendments generally unless the cause is clear and evident. The issue here, of course, is that some people think a constitutional amendment is necessary in order to preserve the rights of the states. I happen not to come down on that side of the issue and, indeed, there are many Republicans who do [not]. I think if you looked at our national convention, for example, among the prominent speakers -- Gov. Schwarzenegger, Rudy Giuliani -- feel the same way. It's not an issue that sets the Republican Party apart in one great mass. It's an issue upon which people differ." -- Lynne Cheney, on NPR's Fresh Air, February 9.

No comments: