Friday, March 24, 2006

How Did LSU Beat Duke?

Defense and physical play.

And here's why: Temple, a 6-5 freshman guard for LSU, put on a defensive clinic that frustrated Redick into one of his worst shooting nights of his career. That proved to be the key component for the fourth-seeded Tigers to upset the top-seeded Blue Devils in the Atlanta Regional, winning a defensive battle 62-54 at the Georgia Dome.

Redick made just 3 of 18 from the field, all three makes coming from outside the 3-point line, and was held to 11 points, 16 below his season average. Temple followed him around from start to finish, playing all 40 minutes, 38 of them on Redick.

Temple did have help from his long, athletic teammates who jumped out on Redick when he did find a crack. Redick came into the game averaging 24.5 in two previous tournament games.

"My coach told me before the year that I wasn't going to be the first, second or third option," Temple said. "But he said I could be a defensive stopper. I definitely relish that. I help my team with defense. I held him to 17 points under his average, so that's like me scoring 17."

Temple scored just three points himself, but that mattered little to his teammates.

"I went to him as soon as we got in (the locker room) and told him we were giving him the game ball," LSU point guard Darrel Mitchell said.

The Tigers used a physical style against Duke, something Temple said some of his friends in the ACC told him would affect the Blue Devils, and especially Redick.

"They told me he doesn't like the physical play," Temple said.

Coach K and Reddick cried and whined all night, but to no avail. It's tough beating good teams when you don't have the refs in your pocket, isn't it coach?

No comments: