Tuesday, March 21, 2006

The "Cheap Grace" of Modern Christianity

As the No. 4 overall pick in the 2000 draft, Fizer entered the NBA with tremendous promise after averaging 22.8 points and 7.7 rebounds as a junior at Iowa State. Unfortunately, the Bulls already had Elton Brand, the No. 1 overall pick in 1999, in the house. He spent four seasons with the Bulls, two of which ended prematurely when he blew out the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee. Last season, he was with the Milwaukee Bucks. Now he plays for the Austin Toros of the National Basketball Development League. He is averaging 19.7 points, 6.9 rebounds and 3.2 assists.

What's it like dropping from being a lottery pick 51/2 years ago to playing in the NBDL?
First, thank God for the NBDL. It's been a very humbling experience and the biggest test of my Christian faith to date. But it's not as bad as I thought. We don't stay in anything like a Motel 6 on the road. It's either a Holiday Inn or a Ramada Inn, and I'm one of the few guys who doesn't have a roommate. Our longest bus trip was a nine-hour ride to a game in Arkansas. But most of the time, we fly connecting flights with Southwest. It's not so bad. They let us board first to choose the best seats.

What's life like when you're not playing ball?
It's quiet and simple. My basketball career, Bible and my four babies are the three B's that are most precious in my life right now. I have a nice two-bedroom apartment in the Rialto apartment complex owned by Jerry Jones, who also owns the Dallas Cowboys. They say his apartments are like living in paradise. And they're close to right about that. I spend a lot of time reading my Bible in my private time, and I see my kids whenever I can. I'm dating the mother of my first child again, but we're not living together like before. We want to do it right this time, according to our faith.

Nice work, Marcus.

No comments: