Sunday, May 08, 2005

When Hal Speaks, You Should Listen

Hal McCoy, the dean of Red's beat writers (and a Hall of Famer), on various topics (hat tip to Lance McAlister):

On the NBA
What's that, the National Ballet Association? I'd rather watch a dog hike his leg on a fire hydrant than watch the NBA without Michael Jordan, Larry Bird or Magic Johnson.

On Red's Pitching Coach Don Gullett
Gullett is right up there with Atlanta's Leo Mazzone in knowledge and expertise. But you can't make Cy Young out of Cy Old and Cy Done and Cy Bad. The minor-league system has produced nothing and there is no money to buy top-shelf products. Gullett can only show them and tell them. He can't do it for them. If he hadn't ruined his rotator cuff at a young age, he might still be the best on the staff.

On Trading Sean Casey
Casey is an excellent defensive first baseman. And why would you trade a yearly .300 contact hitter and a team leader? I have a whole bunch of other trade suspects.

On Danny Graves
OK, I'll say it. If Graves doesn't get 30 saves this year, I'll eat this column. I've already written that I'd eat a column if Ken Griffey Jr. doesn't hit 30 homers, so I guess I'll make it a paper banquet.

On Second Base
Freel, Freel, Freel. Did I mention Freel? He has Jimenez beaten in any category you can mention, including the way he wears his hat."

No comments: