Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Where Have All The Black Children Gone?

From Andrew Sullivan:

The most interesting piece of data in the new study of the under-fives is not, it seems to me, that fact that almost half are now non-white. What's interesting is that only 4 percent of the under-fives are African-American. That compares with 15 percent Asians, 22 percent Hispanics, and 55 percent non-Hispanic whites. Compared with the general population, that's a potentially huge future drop in the black presence in American life. Perhaps I'm more aware of this because of where I live: Washington D.C. In the decade and half since I've lived here, D.C. has only gotten whiter and browner. Its black heritage is just about hanging on. But I doubt it will survive my lifetime with much demographic strength.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You verwechseled between the blacks and Asians.

15% are Blacks and 4% Asians.