Friday, January 13, 2006

Ouch!

Chick Ludwig of The Dayton Daily News:

Well, I learned something more about the 12-year veteran on Sunday. He's a pretty good actor.

After his cheap shot on Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer, von Oelhoffen raised his hands to his helmet pretending to be sorry. I didn't buy Kimo's act then. I don't buy it today. I won't buy it tomorrow.

That the NFL didn't fine von Oelhoffen, coupled with referee Larry Nemmers' refusal to penalize him, is a double slap in the face of the Bengals organization.

E-mailers have flooded my inbox, seeking my opinion on the play. I answer them with one word. D-i-r-t-y. Because every hit on a quarterback below the waist is exactly that.

What genuinely surprised me was the Bengals' reaction.

Instead of slamming Rudi Johnson and Chris Perry down the Steelers' throats in a test of manhood, offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski allowed Jon "Crazy Legs" Kitna to heave 40 passes. Two got picked off.

And tell me this: How could the Bengals....with their franchise quarterback on crutches, his knee encased in ice and out until August.....let Roethlisberger and von Oelhoffen escape Paul Brown Stadium without a bump or a bruise? I have a feeling they were too busy bickering at halftime.

Therein lies the difference between the two clubs.

One is hard. The other is soft.

No comments: