Monday, May 23, 2005

I've Thought This Too

A Nigerian priest expresses one of my peeves with Roman Catholicism:

"Americans aren't very tolerant of these things," said Dr. Hoge, co-author of a soon-to-be-published book on foreign-born priests.

He said some priests have trouble adjusting to the less exalted status American priests have – both in society and in their churches, where U.S. lay leaders often take on decision-making roles reserved for clergy in other countries.

The biggest adjustments are often ceremonial. Nigerian Masses can feature hours of singing, swaying and dancing. Western services are, well, dull in comparison.

"When I came here, I asked: If I was a layperson, would I be going to church at all?" said the Rev. Ernest Munachi Ezeogu, a Nigerian-born priest who now works in Toronto.

"The answer was no. There is no life, no joy. People come to fulfill a duty, not because they want to celebrate Christ."

No comments: